Schools out, which means your home (and kids) might require some extra cleaning attention. Here is some kid friendly cleaning advice to clean up messes such as bubble gum, crayon marks, dirt and grime, and even lipstick stains.
- Chewing gum – Whether it’s stuck on the bottom of your shoe or in a pocket, leave item in the freezer overnight and gently chip away. For stubborn gum, use a small amount of paint thinner.
- Crayon on the walls – As ingenious as your child’s art may be, the best way to remove it from walls is to rub the stain with a small amount of paint thinner and wipe with a clean, dry cloth.
- Play dough in the carpet – Place a large amount of dry-cleaning solvent on a clean white towel. Leave the towel on the affected area for one minute, lift and gently rub the play dough away, moving towel in one direction.
- Dirt and Dust – It’s everywhere! Ask children to remove shoes before coming into the house to keep as many allergens outside as possible. Vacuum entryways often to remove allergy and asthma contaminants.
- Fingerprints – Buff surfaces with a clean cloth dampened with a neutral disinfectant. This will not only remove fingerprints, but childhood germs as well.
- Lipstick on your collar (or wall!) – Little girls love to play with make-up. Scrape excess wax away with a soft spatula. Pretreat clothing with a small amount of dishwashing liquid and rinse. Mix 1/3 part white vinegar to 2/3 part water to gently blot stain away or wipe surfaces clean.