Why James Hardie?
We currently use James Hardie siding in all of our communities instead of vinyl. Not only does this make our homes look better, but it offers more durability (hardie is not going to melt like vinyl). There are several similar siding brands out there, so why did we choose James Hardie?
- James Hardie invented fiber cement.
- They have been in the business for 130 years!
- Their product is all made in the U.S.
- Everything is tested.
- No Fly Ash or Cole Ash is used in their product.
- Their product is fire resistant, pest resistant (termites too), less susceptible to moisture, and offers dimensional stability.
- Hardie siding is enginered for climates.
- They stand behind their product and offer a great warranty: 30 year siding warranty which is transferable from the 1st homeowner to the 2nd, a 15 year warranty on the trim, and a 15 year warranty on the color plus (which covers materials and labor).
So how do you maintain James Hardie Siding?
There are 4 C’s to remember when it comes to maintaining your Hardie siding.
- Trim landscaping to provide an air gape between vegetation and siding.
- Clean gutters
- Limit irrigation spray onto your siding
- Avoid icing salts
- Maintain ground clearances
- Wash your siding like you would wash your car.
- Pressure washing your siding is never recommended, however, if you do choose to pressure wash, make sure that you do not use any type of bleach!
- All you need is a garden hose and a soft bristle brush to clean the siding.
- Caulking requires maintenance.
- Touch up kits are for installers, however, if you the homeowner feels the need to use one, make sure that it is on a spot no bigger than a dime.
- If the repair is bigger than a dime, replace the entire board.
- Color repairs will match the color, not the sheen.