Any builder can say that their homes are energy efficient, but not every builder can say their homes are ENERGY STAR Certified. ENERGY STAR certified homes undergo more inspections and testing than typical homes. Certified professionals work with ENERGY STAR builder partners to select energy-efficient features for their homes and provide the verification necessary to earn the ENERGY STAR label. Every single home must be inspected by a 3rd party to be deemed ENERGY STAR Certified.
So what are the benefits of owning an ENERGY STAR Certified home?
1.) Piece of mind: When ENERGY STAR requirements are applied to new home construction, an integrated approach to design combined with tried and true best building practices adds up to a home with:
- Better durability
- Better comfort
- Reduced utility and maintenance costs
2.) Enduring quality: A new home is a big investment, that’s why it’s important that it is built to last. ENERGY STAR certified homes are designed and built to include value adding energy efficiency features and a combination of materials and equipment that deliver better performance. Such materials include:
- A complete thermal enclosure system that includes comprehensive air sealing, quality installed insulation, and high performance windows, to deliver improved comfort and lower utility bills.
- A high efficiency heating, ventilation, and cooling system that is designed and installed for optimal performance.
- A comprehensive water management system to protect roofs, walls, and foundations from moisture damage.
- Energy-efficiency lighting and appliances to help keep utility bills low, while providing high quality performance and longevity.
Many of these features are behind walls, in the attic, and under the foundation. But these hidden details have an impact on the experience of living in an ENERGY STAR certified home.
3.) Wall to wall comfort: From the moment you walk in the door of an ENERGY STAR certified home, you’ll see, feel, and hear the difference.
- The heating and cooling system has been engineered and installed to efficiently deliver comfort.
- A constant supply of fresh, filtered air is provided, reducing air pollutants, dust, pollen, and other allergens.
- Consistent temperatures are felt across every room, making the entire home comfortable year round.
4.) ENERGY STAR certified new homes offer better energy efficiency and performance compared to other homes, making them a better value for today and a better investment for tomorrow.
- Homes earning the ENERGY STAR label use 20-30% less energy than typical new homes, and even more when compared to a resale.
- Together, families who purchase homes earning the ENERGY STAR label save more than $350 million each year on their utility bills.