Moving into a new home can be an overwhelming process, and it might feel like you are never going to get unpacked and organized. Here is how you can settle into your new home and hopefully feel less overwhelmed.
- Transfer all utilities and services. You want to have power in your home, so making sure you transfer your utility bill needs to be at the top of your priority list. Electricity, gas, water, cable, phone, internet are all services that you will want to have updated with your new address.
- Fill out a change of address form at the Post Office. You can easily do this online, click here.
- Unpack the main or “important” rooms first. Your bedrooms, closets, kitchen, and bathrooms should all be unpacked first. You need somewhere to sleep, bath, get dressed, and eat, so make sure all the necessary tools to do so are unpacked and easily accessible.
- Set aside a room for the small items that can wait to be unpacked. Decorations, books, trinkets, photo albums, all those items that make your home unique can wait until the items you need to live have been unpacked.
- Spend some time exploring your new surroundings! Yes you will want to have everything unpacked and put away, but don’t forget to enjoy your new neighborhood and surrounding areas. Go for a walk, meet your new neighbors, visit a nearby restaurant and just enjoy your new home. You will have the next several years and then some to get everything inside your home just right, enjoy it now!