Decorating a new home is exciting and fun, but it can also be expensive! Just because your home is new, it doesn’t necessarily mean all of your home furnishes need to be as well. There are several things that you can do to make your “old” furniture look great in this new space.
- Reinvent what you have. Just because you don’t love the way your sofa looked in your old home, it doesn’t mean that you can’t make it look great in your new home! Here are a few ways that you can make your old sofa feel new and look great in its new space: buy new throw pillows and blankets, get your couch cleaned, or purchase new surrounding furniture such as accent chairs, a coffee table, or a new side table. Adding these new smaller and less expensive items, will help bring new life into your sofa.
- Start with one room at a time. Choose a room that you spend the most time in. Your master bedroom or family room are great areas to furnish first. When it comes to expensive purchases it is also important to not make any impulse buys. Try living in your home for at least 2 months before pulling the trigger on those big ticket items, that way you will have a better idea of how you want your home to look and feel.
- You don’t need to buy everything all at once! We know it’s hard and you want your home to be furnished as soon as you move in, but don’t rush it. Decorating a home takes time, and just like we stated above, impulse buys are not always the best idea!
- Matchy matchy furniture is out. Try to fight the urge to buy a matching set of anything! If you walk-thru any of our model homes you will notice that our designer rarely uses any type of matching sets. If you do have a matching set, try splitting it up and using different pieces throughout your home!
- Use color to tie your rooms together. If your rug consists of blues and grays, then pull those colors into the rest of the room by adding blue throw pillows, curtains of a similar shade, or even a piece of art. Here is a great blog with 100 color combinations for you to choose from!
- Shop at stores like Transit Damaged Freight. Unlike the name, not everything at Transit Damaged Freight is damaged! You can order brand new furniture from high end designers at a way lower price then what you would pay at the actual store. Transit Damaged has several locations, for a full list click here.