With the temperatures nearing the 100 degree mark, the last thing that you want is for your home to feel as hot inside as it is out. Here are several things that you can do to keep your home feeling cool and help keep your A/C unit working in tip top shape!
- Keep your blinds closed. The hottest time of day is around 3 pm. Keeping your blinds or curtains closed throughout the day will help keep those rooms in your home feeling cooler.
- Purchase house plants. Placing indoor plants in front of a sunny window will actually absorb some of the suns energy which would have otherwise been used to heat up your home.
- Make sure your fans are set to spin to the right. In the Spring and Summer, you want your ceiling fans to rotate counterclockwise to push cool air down to the floor.
- Plant trees. Mature trees planted in front of your homes windows can help to block sunlight and keep your interior shaded.
- Install a smart thermostat. Nest is a great smart thermostat that will help you regulate your A/C.
- Change your air filters often. Twice a year, Spring and Fall, is the minimum amount you should be changing the filters.