With this unpredictable Hurricane Irma heading our way, it is always a good idea to have these safety tips tucked away in your back pocket.
- Unplug all appliances from your outlets to protect them from any power surges.
- Stay indoors during the storm. A Hurricane selfie or video for Facebook is not worth the risk.
- Make sure you have flashlights and extra batteries in the case of a power outage. Also you want to make sure you have a battery operated radio so that you can stay up-to-date with what is happening. Also having non perishable items such as bread, canned items, water, toilet paper etc. is always a smart move.
- Never operate a generator inside your home, or in any other enclosed spaces.
- Stay away from fallen power lines!
- Trim your trees. If you know a storm is coming, go ahead and makes sure there are no dead sections threatening your home or your neighbors home.
- Secure your outdoor “stuff”. Patio furniture, swings, planters, cushions, trash cans are all items that need to be brought inside before a storm. Even removing things like bird feeders or wind chimes from trees is a good idea.
Here are some more great tips from NBCNews.