Blogs & Special Events

September 21, 2016
  •  
  •  

What is a Structural Warranty?

2-10

A structural warranty provides a written agreement between the home builder and the homeowner and clearly defines the builder’s work-product obligations related to construction quality and continuing obligations.  A structural warranty, from an established warranty provider, gives builders and homeowner’s confidence that if qualified major structural damages develop in a home, those repairs will be the obligation of the warranty insurer rather than the responsibility of the builder and homeowners.

What damages does a structural warranty cover?  A structural warranty covers specific types of structural defects: actual physical damage to load-bearing elements of a home that result in failure of its load-bearing function.

How much does a structural warranty cost?  The average cost of a 10 year warranty is less than a half percent of the total purchase price of the home including the land.

What causes structural damage in a home?  Soil movement surrounding a home’s foundation causes more than 80% of structural defects, and framing-related issues cause the remaining 20%.

Features and benefits for homeowners includes: being worry-free, protection when it’s needed, surrounding components are covered, warranty administration, and avoid costly litigation.

Why should home buyers purchase from a 2-10 HBW builder?  The biggest advantage to buying a home from a 2-10 HBW builder member is in the quality of their craftsmanship and their ability to provide the best new home structural warranty.  A home buyer can know that the construction standards are defined and there is a warranty insurer to stand behind the builder’s promise.

2-10 warranty logo